Saturday, June 11, 2011

Stiff by Mary Roach

Sometimes a book comes along that begs the question:  What the hell was I thinking when I picked this one up?

Actually, I do sort of know what the hell I was thinking when I picked this one up.  I was thinking:  Oh, this is on our school district's summer reading list for the high school students.  And since I've always had good luck with their summer reading lists, let's give it a spin.  It was the book, however, that put me into a spin ~ a spin that began with head shakes that led to cringes that spawned into impossible bodily contortions (that I haven't been able to perform since first grade gymnastics lessons) until I finally found myself in a comatose state of nausea with a few surprising escapes of the giggles as I was left continually reeling over the question:  What the hell was I thinking?

And then as I kept reading, another question kept nagging at me:  Why, oh why, are you continuing with this train wreck?  But that's just it!  It was like watching a train wreck.  You know it's going to be horrifying, gruesome, and unpleasant, but you can't take your eyes off of  it because you want to know what's going to happen next and how it will all end.  But, ironically, in a book dedicated completely to the "lives" of human cadavers, we're beginning with the end.

Don't adjust your glasses, contact lenses, or computer screens.  Yes, my friends.  You read that correctly.  Stiff provides a detailed and explicit account of the "lives" of human cadavers.  This book gives insight into how and why cadavers are used for surgical practice.  We also see how they have been used as crash test dummies for cars.  There is also a chapter encompassing the concept of body snatching.  And of course, what book about cadavers would be complete without a chapter dedicated to decomposition?

Sounds like a happy and delightful read for the whole family; doesn't it?  Especially for a young and impressionable high school student whose school district has recommended this book for their summer reading list.  But here's where the other crazy part comes in (as if you haven't already been hit with enough crazy).  The book is told with a surprisingly amazing sense of humor.  So while you're turning green, crouching in the fetal position, and hugging the toilet, you're also uncomfortably laughing.

I still have no idea what the hell I was thinking when I picked up this book.  I'm not scientific minded nor do I desire to become a mortician.  But I guess if you're interested in reading something outside of your comfort zone this is definitely your book.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, guess it would also be good for those interested in forensics... what a good idea to read from a high school's recommended list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think I would like this, lol. I'm want to donate my body to science - if they'll take it - and maybe I'd like to know what it's in for!

    ReplyDelete