Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew

For someone who felt overwhelmed in her high school and college history classes (why did I have to memorize so many dates and the names of so many battles?), I just love to read historical fiction! It's fascinating to live life vicariously through characters from another place and time.

This one brought me to the segregated south in the 1950s. It sort of has that feeling of reading The Help ~ upper middle class white family, African American maid who works for said family, characters doing horrible and manipulative things to each other. But whereas The Help had a little humor thrown in for fun (I need not mention the chocolate pie, but how could I resist), this one does not. The Dry Grass of August is completely serious.

The writing style is also very interesting. The story is narrated by a 13-year old girl (Jubie) whose experiences parallel that of her 48-year old black maid (Mary) and slavery in general. At first you think you're reading a young adult novel, but then you begin to see why it's not; and then again you question why it isn't. And in the end you think: Does it really matter if the storytelling drives home the point intended ~ and that point being that strong link among Jubie and the other characters. I don't want to give any spoilers away, but I think readers will see that connection and symbolism with Jubie, her father, and slavery.

Did I like this one as much as The Help? Well, no. But I really felt that this book was successful in making a statement of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment