Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

It's always motivating and enlightening when I read the right book at the right time.  The Alchemist came to me about four years too late.  But, hey, I'll take what I can get at this point.  And at this point, this fable is exactly what I needed to lift my spirits and to give myself that kick in the rear that the past four to five year's worth of job search frustration has tried to squash.  I absolutely love my current job.  But like every other position I have been lucky enough to obtain over the past few years in this disastrous economy, it is unfortunately not a permanent position - nor, a well-paying one.  So as I slump over my computer, updating my resume, filling out the mountains of paperwork, and writing essays to every school in the tri-state area trying to convince them what a great teacher I am, I will think of Santiago and his journey to keep me going.

Santiago is a shepherd boy who takes a risk by selling his sheep in order to travel from Spain to the Pyramids of Egypt where he believes a lucrative treasure awaits him.  By obtaining this treasure, Santiago will fulfill his Personal Legend, his own personal success and happiness.  He makes quick friends and encounters a number of people along the way who either lead him to the Pyramids or betray his trust.  One of his biggest allies and confidantes becomes The Alchemist who encourages him to be more observant of omens and to follow the messages of these omens, which come from a higher power.

God and Allah are mentioned in the book; however, it does not preach religion nor attempt to sway your own personal beliefs.  This is a story about finding faith within yourself and following your heart to realize your dreams.  Because Santiago embarks upon a dangerous, long, and tumultuous journey in order to seek out his own treasure, fulfillment in our dreams will also be an arduous struggle.  (And boy, do I ever know that!)  Recognizing omens and following their messages along with following his heart becomes a critical aspect in the success or failure of Santiago's journey.  Perhaps this book is my own omen.  As frustrating and discouraging as my job search has been, teaching is my dream and passion, my Personal Legend.  I'd like to think that if I continue to work hard, work smart, stay motivated, and keep my heart on the right path that I will eventually find my own treasure.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, thank you for visiting my blog.
    I am becoming a total book nerd. I am so glad I found your blog!!!
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete