Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year! and Happy New Reads!

Books make the world go 'round.  Well, they do for my world anyway.  Yes, I know it's cliche to say I love books and that I love to read because so many other people share this exact sentiment.  But that's just it.  It's a common thread that ties so many people.  Why?  Because books impose a tremendous amount of power over us.

For any of us who have ever gotten lost in a great book, you know what it's like to read with tired and blurry eyes trying to make sense of the words dancing across the page because you can't put the book down.  You just have to find out what happens next.  That's the beauty of a good book.  It captures us, holds us hostage, and allows us to live vicariously through the characters.  Books allow us to become people we are too afraid to be in our real lives.  We live in times and places completely inaccessible to our own reality.  We become war heroes in the jungles of Vietnam or on the shores of Normandy; we become struggling immigrants living on the dirty, diseased-infested streets of New York City during the Industrial Revolution; we discover vaccines for Polio and small pox; we fall in and out of love, raise families who come to love or hate us; we become villains; we live and we die.

The purpose of this blog is to review, recommend, and ramble about the books I've read and am currently reading.  Feel free to peruse, comment, and find a selection for your next reading experience.

2 comments:

  1. I plan on adding you to my "followed" blogs, as I really relate to your writing style and commentary. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books but somehow lost my way with respect to reading fiction. I don't think I've read a novel in years. This looks like an interesting blog!!

    ReplyDelete